The Gunwale Grub Throwdown!
Get ready for it!
Yes, we’re having a food contest at the BCC meeting on February 8, 2017! Come prepared to battle it out and sample delicious camping food in 5 categories: breads, jerky, snack food, entrées, and special desserts.
How do I enter?
There is no fee to enter the contest. Just fill in and submit the submit the application form.
You will receive email confirmation within 48 hours of your online submission. If you do not receive this email, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339 or email@example.com.
If you are having technical difficulties or you would like to make a paper application, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339.
We can only taste so much food so there will be a limited number of entries per category. Don’t dilly dally if you want to compete!
Can I enter more than one category?
Yes, you can enter in up to 2 categories. Submit a separate application for each category.
Will there be official judges and prizes?
Yes! Our BCC Celebrity Panel of Judges includes a New York trained chef. The three official judges will evaluate each dish on a point scale for the following criteria: taste, texture, at camp preparation and nutritious ingredients.
Prizes will be awarded for the BEST in each category.
There will also be 3 prizes for People’s Choice awards so everyone will get to vote.
I just want to taste the samples. What should I bring?
Due to quantity limitations, tasting will be limited to the first 40 members in attendance — so come early to collect your voting chip! Food samples will be distributed in little Dixie cups or napkins so bring a small tray and a spoon so you can collect and taste the samples. You may want to bring a bottle of water to cleanse your palate between tastings.
Is there anything else I should know?
Maybe. See the contest rules below. If you have any questions or would like to help out on the day of the contest, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contest is open to all BCC members in good standing.
- Contest entries must be for a food item you would bring on a canoe trip:
- Snack food (includes trail mix, granola and energy bars)
- Special desserts
- Entries must be prepared the same like you would for a canoe trip. For example, if your dish is dehydrated for the trip and then re-hydrated prior to eating, this is how it must be presented for judging.
- Entries do not need to be entirely from scratch but can be assembled using already prepared ingredients.
- Contest is open to any member of the Beaver Canoe Club including volunteers in the planning group of this contest.
- To enter contest, you need to submit your application before February 1, 2017.
- Each contestant can enter a maximum of 2 categories.
- Contestants are expected to bring enough food for 40 – 1 oz tasting samples (2 tablespoons).
- Your application must include a detailed recipe. All recipes will be compiled into a digital cookbooklet and made available to members on the Web site after the contest.