Basic Paddlers 2021
Provincial Health Officer Orders prohibit the club from conducting Basic Paddlers as planned. It and Intro to Moving Water are rescheduled.
Wednesday June 2, (Zoom); 7:30 PM, Sat. June 5 & 12; all day. (Public Health Order dependent).
- Due to Provincial Health Officer Orders, registration priority will be based on your date of membership and numbers may be limited.
- Memberships must be current before registering.
- Listen to the Podcast Episode 2; Basic Paddlers’ in the Beaver Canoe Club
To Register for Course
The lakewater tandem course consists of one Zoom evening lecture and two days on the water. Tandem means two people paddling the canoe. You’ll learn skills to keep you safe and manoeuvres to reduce muscle strain, all designed to make your canoeing fun. This course is for you if you want to go on day or overnight trips on flat water, or are interested in advancing to river canoeing. There are no prerequisites. In addition, all our instructors are certified by the Recreational Canoeing Association of BC (RCABC).
You’ll learn how to:
- Canoe safely
- Paddle in a straight line using a J-stroke
- Carry, launch and land a canoe
- Choose paddles, personal floatation devices (PFDs), etc.
- Go forward, stop and reverse
- Store and waterproof gear
- Identify canoe types
- Make basic turns
- Perform canoe-over-canoe rescues
- Get back into a boat during a rescue
- Handle waves and wind
- Manoeuvre with sideslips and spins
- Prevent and treat hyper and hypothermia
- Transport your boat on a car
- Dress appropriately for BC waters
- Every adult Club Member of the Beaver Canoe Club
- Juniors (under 19) by application and must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian.
Rent boats, PFDs, etc. from:
Middleton’s Boats or call David @ 604-240-0503
Need a Partner?
We will help pair you up if you do not have a partner.