Beavers’ Taste Buds Get a Workout
In case you missed it, the first ever Gunwale Grub Throwdown took place at the April 2017 Beaver Canoe Club meeting. Many thanks to all the members who came out and put their taste buds to work!
And the winner is …
- Jenny W. won the gift certificate from Valhalla Pure Outfitters in Abbotsford for her entry in the Entrées category: Chicken Cranberry Couscous
- Jenny also won a gift certificate from Skyview Outdoors in Surrey for her entry in the Snacks category: Chewy Granola Bars
- Madeline W. won the People’s Choice Award for Daniela’s Delights and took home a gift certificate for a “Cut Like a Chef” class for 2 from Knifewear in Vancouver.
A big thank you to these local businesses for their generous support!
- Next time you are at Western Canoeing, check out the Valhalla Pure store next door. In addition to outdoor clothing, they carry a wide range of paddling accessories.
- Located on Scott Road & 110th Ave. in North Surrey, Skyview Outdoors is filled to brimming with camping and paddle sport gear.
- If you are at all serious about knives, you must go to Knifewear at Main and 26th Avenue in Vancouver. They have a huge range of beautiful Japanese knives and accessories which you can try out. Many are affordable.
As promised, here is a compilation of all the canoe tripping recipes from the event (pdf).
It wasn’t easy putting together such an event and have it run so smoothly. Dave W. did a great job as MC. Margaret C., Cody W., and Christine L. did a superb job as our official judges. Our treasurer, John G., tabulated all the scores. We have James W. to thank for the excellent action shots of the event. And I would not have been able to do it without the consistent input and support of my planning team. These fellow foodies dedicated 5 meetings (with food of course!) to shaping the event: Leigh B., Rose D., April W., Pam F. and Madeline W.
There is no telling what talent hides among the BCC membership!
All the best for your next wilderness cooking adventure,