The Gunwale Grub Throwdown! April 12th!
Shall we try again?!
Our first attempt at having a food contest in February resulted in cancellation due to poor weather. Groan! So, let’s try again with a few changes/clarifications:
- We are simplifying the contest so there are only two categories: snacks and entrées.
- Think of the contest as a potluck rather than a cooking demo.
- There is still space for 7 more entries, so apply soon.
- The new deadline for the shorter application form is April 5th, 2017
- Contest will take place at 7:45pm sharp on April 12th at the BCC meeting
- Contestants will need to bring enough of their fully prepared snack or entrée to make 40 – 2 TBSP portions or 5 cups total.
- Contestants just need to bring the item being judged not the whole meal. E.g. for spaghetti sauce, just bring the sauce and not the noodles
How do I enter?
Just fill in and submit the condensed application form before April 5th.
You will receive email confirmation with more contest details within 48 hours of your online submission. If you do not receive this email, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having technical difficulties or you would like to make a paper application, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339.
We can only taste so much food so there will be a limited number of entries per category. Don’t dilly dally if you want to compete!
Can I enter more than one category?
Yes, you can enter both. Submit a separate application for each category.
Will there be official judges and prizes?
Yes! Our BCC Celebrity Panel of Judges includes a New York trained chef. The three official judges will evaluate each dish on a point scale for the following criteria: taste, texture, at camp preparation and nutritious ingredients.
Prizes will be awarded for the BEST in each category.
There will also be 1 prize for People’s Choice awards so everyone will get to vote.
I just want to taste the samples. What should I bring?
Due to quantity limitations, tasting will be limited to the first 40 members in attendance — so come early to collect your voting chip! Food samples will be distributed in little Dixie cups so bring a small tray and a spoon so you can collect and taste the samples. You may want to bring a bottle of water to cleanse your palate between tastings.
Is there anything else I should know?
Maybe. See the contest rules below. If you have any questions or would like to help out on the day of the contest, please contact Suzanna at 604-874-7339 or email@example.com.
- Contest is open to all BCC members in good standing.
- Contest entries must be for a food item you would bring on a canoe trip:
- Snack food (includes trail mix, granola and energy bars) or
- Entries must be prepared the same like you would for a canoe trip. For example, if your dish is dehydrated for the trip and then re-hydrated prior to eating, this is how it must be presented for judging.
- Entries do not need to be entirely from scratch but can be assembled using already prepared ingredients.
- Contest is open to any member of the Beaver Canoe Club including volunteers in the planning group of this contest.
- To enter contest, you need to submit your application before April 5, 2017.
- Contestants are expected to bring enough food for 40 – 2 tablespoon tasting samples (5 cups total)