Basic Paddlers 2020
- Wednesday April 22, Saturdays April 25 & May 2. 2020 memberships must be current.
- Listen to the Podcast Episode 3; Basic Paddlers’ in the Beaver Canoe Club
To Register for Course
Email Training Director after April 1 to register for the course.
The lakewater tandem course consists of one evening lecture and two days on the water. Tandem means two people paddling the canoe. You’ll learn skills to keep you safe and manoeuvres to reduce muscle strain, all designed to make your canoeing fun. This course is for you if you want to go on day or overnight trips on flat water, or are interested in advancing to river canoeing. There are no prerequisites. In addition, all our instructors are certified by the Recreational Canoeing Association of BC (RCABC).
You’ll learn how to:
- Canoe safely
- Paddle in a straight line using a J-stroke
- Carry, launch and land a canoe
- Choose paddles, personal floatation devices (PFDs), etc.
- Go forward, stop and reverse
- Store and waterproof gear
- Identify canoe types
- Make basic turns
- Perform canoe-over-canoe rescues
- Get back into a boat during a rescue
- Handle waves and wind
- Manoeuvre with sideslips and spins
- Prevent and treat hyper and hypothermia
- Transport your boat on a car
- Dress appropriately for BC waters
- Every adult Club Member of the Beaver Canoe Club
- Juniors (under 19) by application and must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian.
Rent boats, PFDs, etc. from:
Middleton’s Boats or call David @ 604-240-0503
Need a Partner?
We will help pair you up if you do not have a partner.